Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day


I have always loved Father's Day....just a time to reflect and be thankful for my Dad but this year it is extra special and I'm prouder of him than I've ever been. After many years of drinking my Dad is on the road of recovery and our last visit with one another was incredible. Words can't describe the peace and warmth I experienced as we spent time together. Our conversations were different, the way he interacted with Lily was different, he looks different, he feels better, I feel better....and this is just the beginning of a new lifestyle. I have seen this verse lived out in my own life and now I'm seeing it lived out in my Dad "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

There are so many things that I love about my Dad and sobriety is a new one on the long list -
  • his sense of humor
  • love for his family
  • watching him love on his mom (Maw Maw) especially in her last years of life on this earth
  • trusts in the Lord
  • loves to serve others
  • talented in so many areas - landscaping, cooking, knowledge of automobiles
  • kind and generous
  • love for nature, outdoors, water, camping, canoeing
  • love for animals - birds, horses, dogs
  • love for music
  • great dancer
  • loves to laugh and have a good time
  • great friend
  • a father who believes in you even when you make mistakes along the way
  • And then there are the things that we enjoy doing together -
    • taking walks
    • swimming
    • looking at flowers, plants and admiring God's handiwork
    • going to Classic car shows
    • building a snowman
    • canoeing and camping
    • enjoying a good meal and conversation
    • spending time with our family
    • watching him play with Lily
I am so blessed to be able to call him "my Dad" and to hear my sweet Lily call him "my Poppy." Happy Father's Day to a one of a kind....and we are so glad YOU are OURS! We love you.

No comments: